Friday, October 21, 2005

Great Gaming Moments: #1

Ok so maybe I shouldn't *start* with my all time top gaming moment. But if I don't do it now, I'll forget. The setting was Phil and Nina's house, I guess some time around 1990-1. The game? Papyrus' Indy 500. What a classic! I have many good memories of that game, but as far as an achievement goes, it was the 33-car wreck that I'd have to say I'm proud of. Thats right, I turned headlong into oncoming (200mph) traffic and managed to involve every car on the track in one amazing crash. Which I then got to watch all over again with the state-of-the-art replays. I can just hear the amazing sound effects now. Anyway, to understand a little more about this game, and my 33-car achievement, read this great article over at gamespot. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I/we (thats Paul) never actually bought Indy500 or Indy Racing. Which is a shame, especially as we missed out on the later version of the Indy500 track.

History of Papryus Racing Games

"Indeed, one of the "hidden" joys of any Papyrus game is reverse track driving, wherein the player attempts to create the most cataclysmic head-on multicar pileup. And certainly breakaway parts only added to the fun.

Nonetheless, Kaemmer remembers the potential victim count being quite a bit higher in Indy 500, where "The strategy was to lie in wait on the front straight, which was lined on both sides with a concrete barrier, and leave no place for the hapless opponents to go. We would quite often get everyone but four or five in one giant wreck. I may have gotten everyone once..."


1 Comments:

At 4:21 pm, Blogger Paul said...

Indy 500 can still be enjoy by using DosBox and grabbing a copy of the game which is now freely available on the net.

The best part of that game was the physics engine which at the time was superb. Also I'm pretty sure it was written in machine code making it super quick even on a 286!

You must relate your record breaking 232mph lap!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free page hit counter